The Chevrolet Silverado is set to undergo even more changes for the 2021 model year that will make it even more appealing to consumers. Already one of the most popular full-size pickup trucks in the industry, the 2021 Silverado will see new technology, increased towing and payload ratings, and added utility with its all-new Multi-Flex Tailgate.
All-New Multi-Flex Tailgate
If you grew up playing with Transformers, the Multi-Flex Tailgate is sure to appear to your inner child. If the industry’s rapid technological boom has taught us anything, it’s that we can’t rule anything out in the future—no matter how preposterous it may sound. But for now, the Multi-Flex Tailgate is the closest we will get to a real-life Optimus Prime.
First to debut on the 2019 GMC Sierra as the industry’s most innovative tailgate, this technology trickles down to the Silverado lineup for the 2021 model year. While it may receive a different name, the Multi-Flex Tailgate provides the same six reconfigurable positions to improve cargo management capabilities.
1. Primary Gate- The first position opens like a traditional tailgate. It can be opened using the key fob, from inside the truck or using the handle on the actual tailgate itself.
2. Primary Gate Load Stop- With the primary tailgate lowered flat, a pop-up load stop can be raised into position to prohibit longer items from sliding out of the back of the bed.
3. Foldable Inner Gate For Easy Access- For those hard to reach items toward the front of the bed, the inner gate folds down and allows you to reach them without having to step up inside.
4. Full-Width Step- With the inner gate folded down, a large step extends outward allowing for easy access into the bed. Featuring a max weight capacity of 375 pounds, you can even use the step while carrying heavy cargo.
5. Inner Gate Load Stop- With the primary gate closed in the upright position, the inner gate folds down and the step extends to serve as a load stop. Now, longer items can be carried without them sliding out of the bed or obstructing your vision behind you while driving.
6. Inner Gate Work Surface- Standing desks are all the rage at the office, so why not create your very own out of the back of your Silverado? With the primary gate closed, the inner gate folds outward to reveal a flat workspace—perfect for construction work, laptop use or filling out paperwork on the job.
Amplified Tailgate and Improved Music Streaming
While the highlight of the Multi-Flex Tailgate is certainly its work capabilities, it also knows how to party with its available integrated Kicker Bluetooth sound system. Featuring two waterproof four-inch coaxial drivers and a hidden amplifier, the Kicker sound system pumps out 100 watts of power. That’s more than enough to make the Silverado a hit at tailgate parties.
Streaming music is sure to be much less of a hassle now with Wireless Apple CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto being offered standard on 2021 Silverado LTZ and High Country models. It’s also available on the LT, LT Trail Boss, and RST trims as an extra cost option.
Improved Towing Capabilities
In terms of increased capability, towing capacities of 2021 Silverado trucks equipped with the 2.7L turbocharged four-cylinder and 3.0L Duramax turbo diesel engines will also see a significant boost. In RWD crew cab configuration, the four-cylinder Silverado can now tow up to 9,300 pounds—up 2,500 from the previous model year. With the 3.0L Duramax, towing capacity increases by 1,900 pounds in nearly every configuration—topping out at 9,500 pounds on RWD models.
Price and Availability
The 2021 Silverado starts at $30,195 after destination and delivery. Numerous 2021 Silverado models are available to test drive today at Patterson Kilgore Chevrolet.